What is Trapezius Myalgia
Trapezius Myalgia is pain at the back of your shoulders and neck. Trapezius Myalgia is simply chronic muscular pain of the trapezius muscle. There are three divisions of the trapezius, (upper, middle and lower). The muscle starts off from the back of the head, and runs down the spine.
The neck and shoulder areas are one of the most used parts of your body. Overuse and improper support of the muscles in this region can have an impact in more ways than one.
Symptoms of Trapezius Myalgia:
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Jaw pain
- Stiff neck
- Burning pain in the shoulder and arm.
- Tingling/Numbness down the arm and/or into the hand.
Causes of Trapezius Myalgia:
Posture and Daily Activities: Injury alone does not cause pain. Your daily living activities and poor posture may gradually cause wear and tear on your neck joints, (cervical spine) leading to increased tightness around your shoulder and trapezius muscles.
- Computer Work: Sitting at a desk and working on a computer for an extended period of time with protracted shoulders and/or viewing a monitor which is not at eye level height may cause stress and tension in the trapezius muscles, thus leading to headaches.
- Backpack: Carrying a heavy backpack or purse over one shoulder puts extra tension on the trapezius, which can cause soreness
- Whiplash: Traumatic injury such as whiplash can cause a sore trapezius muscle. During an accident or injury, the head is snapped backwards and then forwards, straining the trapezius muscles and causing neck pain
- Tension or Stress: Tension or stress in the head leads to compressed bones and joints, which leads to decreased blood flow to the neck muscles and the trapezius, causing tightness and discomfort.
Treatment for Trapezius Myalgia:
Treatment typically involves mobilization and physical therapy, depending on the location of the affected muscles. Muscular relaxation techniques are also employed using a variety of methods, with custom prescribed strengthening and stretching exercises.
ESWT Shockwave therapy is a gentle, non-invasive techniques designed to help improve blood circulation, muscle recovery and loosen chronically contracted muscle tissue, has been found to an effective treatment tool in trapezius myalgia and chronic neck pain.